Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Life in the fast lane...

We travel... lots... We are very blessed with lots of flight miles, my husband having Companion Pass (AKA I fly free on Southwest), and hotel points, so we are able to travel very frequently.   We also have lots of family out of the state, so that also contributes to our traveling addiction.

Eli is 4.5 months old, and he has been on 16 flights.... And he went on his first flight after his 2 month shots, so it's safe to say that he has been a little busy bee the last 2.5 months!

I have just a few tips that I would like to keep handy when baby #2 comes along (even though I know I will need a whole new list travelling with two kiddos, but oh well).

1) Always have extra milk.  I typically bring 6-8 oz of breastmilk just depending on the flight length, and I also bring 2 emergency 2 oz ready bottles of formula.  Just in case we get stuck on the plane forever and we run out of milk, I have these backups.

2) Check the carseat in a bag at the front.  I can't even count the number of times I have seen carseats come out of baggage claim without bags on them, and I throw up a little in my mouth everytime.... DISGUSTING! Also, use the extra room in the carseat bag for a Bumbo, necessary toys, diapers, etc.

3) Take the baby through security either in a small umbrella stroller or the infant carrier (I prefer the BabyZen YOYO and ErgoBaby360).  The YoYo is awesome because it fits in the carry-on compartment on the airplane.  No losing it.  No worrying about it getting broke.  And most importantly, it stays nice and clean.  It's a win win!

4) Book the baby a seat if you are flying over 2 hours and if your wallet can afford.  Like I mentioned before, we typically use flight miles, so if we were paying out of pocket for this seat, we might just be holding him on our lap and squishing next to a stranger.  The good thing about having your child a seat on the longer flights is that you can bring your carseat on board.

5) In regards to bringing the carseat on the plane if you buy your kiddo a seat, make sure to put their seat by the window!  We have been told last minute and seen it happen to others where the airplane has to stop for you to move the carseat. Annoying, but whatever...

6) Plan to breastfeed, give your child a bottle, or give them a paci during takeoff and landing.  I particularly notice that my ears hurt worse during the landing and Eli whines/cries/sometimes screams more during the landings, so I prefer to make sure I have food ready for the landing.  When they have you bring your tray tables to the upright position and put away all laptops, it's time to get the food ready! :)

Most importantly, if you stay calm, your child will be more calm, and remember even if your child screams the whole time and somebody gets annoyed, who cares?  You will never see them again, and most people have been there and understand! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment